Saturday, March 20, 2010

Is it Wrong to Question the Bible?

Ok I am a Christian as most of you know. But I have ALOT of questions. I mean I have only been saved for 5 years, So for the past 20+ years I did not Know Jesus and or the Bible.


So one of my resolutions this year is to read the Bible. As Jan 1st rolled near I got myself all fired up about it. I went out and bought The One Year Bible

So I have been reading it daily, ( although some days I miss and then play catch up. ) Yes I said MISS. I am not perfect. Oh and did I mention IT IS A HARD BOOK TO READ???

Anywho as I read it I get all these questions in my head that make me go REALLY???

For example.

Sara and Abraham did not have kids, so she GAVE her SLAVE to Abraham to marry and have kids with.

Ok right there I have questions. 1st, why were there slaves? 2nd UMM that is Polygamy and I thought God was against it

then Sara becomes jealous of her slave and tells Abraham to send her into the desert away, so he does.

Yep another question.

so after allowing her husband to commit adultery they now send her and the baby away KNOWING they might die, and they have no issue with it. Then God tells her ( the slave ) to Go back to Sara and basically be mistreated. REALLY?

then after all that he rewards them with many descendants to become a great nation.

Ok do you see my dilemma? I mean how does one read this and NOT think something is fishy?

I know it all comes down to Faith, But then I think WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE FAITH? am I damned to Hell? What if God gets angry with me because I am to dense to understand his word?

yes these questions run through my head and frighten me. And to top that off I believe that men and woman are Born Gay. So then if they are, does that mean that God Loves them? ( which I whole heartily believe God does ) but then others will say NO THE BIBLE SAYS ITS WRONG...

Ok so it does. So why is that wrong but Abraham, and Issac and the rest of them having many wives NOT wrong?

Oh I am so confused. So if any of you feel the need to help explain any of this to me that would be FANTASTIC....

3 comments:

Heather said...

Loved reading about your questions. I was born and raised a Christian, but have only felt that the "title" fit me for a few months now. I bought the "Busy Moms Bible" with 1, 5, and 10 minute Bible studies and a great reference section! I don't think that faith is supposed to be blind. The way I feel, isn't it better to question and seek answers than simply do it because someone says you should?

Abraham and Sarah, I can't really get into that one because I have no answers, but it's a very interesting thought.

As for being gay, I totally agree with you on people being born gay and not choosing it. It's a topic I've been interested in looking into more, but for now, I look at it as the Bible says only One is allowed to judge, therefore, it's between the individual and God and even if I did have an issue with it, that's not my job or right.

Mindy Skains Independant Scentsy Consultant said...

thank you for your comment Heather,I just get so frustrated at myself for having questions.

A sweet dear friend of mine that reads my blog but NEVER ( hint hint ) leaves comments actually emailed me with her thoughts on the subject. It was such a blessing to hear her thoughts. ( or read them as it may since it was a email )

La Familia Garcia said...

I think this is great and shows evidence that the Holy Spirit is working in your life.

Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Also, I'd go to your pastor or a mentor that you look up to spiritually to go through some of your questions and keep growing.