Saturday, March 13, 2010

I am KILLING my kids

AND I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE it...... I have always prided myself on being very cautious of what they eat. I limit the amount of toxins in their bodies. I try and use natural or organic as much as possible. and ALWAYS 100% whole wheat.

I mean my kids have no idea that bread or pasta is ever white. We drink Raw milk, and I try and get exercise into them daily. All the while of priding myself as a GOOD MOMMY..... I am in fact slowly setting them on a path that is going to cause harmful and possibly sever damage to them. I AM NOT A GOOD MOMMY...

So what brought this all on you might ask? Well while reading the news today I stumble upon this site and start reading and am in total shock at what I see. Then not knowing the exact amount 1 gram really is I decided to research it. and this my friends is what I find.


*********WARNING**********
the following may cause you to slap forehead and say WHAT!!!
1 gram = 1/4 teaspoon
4 grams = 1 teaspoon, 1 sugar cube, or 1 package of sugar
8 grams = 2 teaspoons
16 grams = 4 teaspoons
32 grams = 8 teaspoons
52 grams = 13 teaspoons
88 grams = 22 teaspoons
120 grams = 30 teaspoons
200 grams = 50 teaspoons, ( 1 cup granulated sugar )

and so on.... Now I know some of you may look at that and think. OH I DON"T LET THEM HAVE THAT MUCH.... allow me to enlighten you...

a little jug of chocolate milk from McDonald's has 25 grams of sugar which is almost 6 teaspoons of sugar.


a Nutri-grain cereal bar, well pick Strawberry can you believe it has 12 grams of sugar, which is insane. I mean I try and not buy sugar coated cereal for this reason and HELLO I might as well be letting my kids eat donuts for breakfast as for a Dunkin Donuts glazed donut has the same exact amount of sugar in them. CRAZY....

I am just in utter shock and disbelief and a tad ANGRY with myself.

So as I do with anything that involves my monkeys I am NOW ON A MISSION TO REVAMP MY KIDS DIETS....
I will be reading as much as possible about the crap that I am putting in my kids. I will be purging the house of all sugar that is candy or sweets related. ( I want to apologize to the student workers I work with in advance as I am BRINGING IT ALL TO WORK FOR YOU )

I am going to make it my mission to educate my kids, myself and anyone else that wants to know the facts. To know me is to know that when it comes to my kids I AM A MANIAC with getting to the bottom of things. DON"T MESS WITH MY MONKEYS.... and YOU AMERICAN FOOD PRODUCERS ARE IN FOR A WHOLE LOT OF MOMMY AND GETTING IN YOUR BUSINESS... YOU AIN'T MAKING MY BOYS FAT OR CAUSING HEALTH ISSUES WITH THEM... I AM COMING FOR YOU ALL.....

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Not sure why you are so upset. If you are careful with serving food from scratch type of meals, and you appear to be, you won't be getting the hidden sugars. To have a great sugar treat once in a while is a whole other story. It is a deliberate TREAT, and not something that is oozing into the diet without you knowing about it.

I'm wary of unpasteurized milk. Having been raised in an area where that was the common type of milk, I also know a number of episodes of young kids getting quite sick from it.

Lolidots said...

Hubby and I feel the same way. The hidden sugar is in so much! The one that really got us was looking at the labels and seeing how many items contain the dreaded "high fructose corn syrup". Ick.

It's terrible how many foods are lauded as being "healthy" and then realizing how much crap is actually in it.

Hubby found this site:
naturalnews.com
and we find it to be a helpful source of info on eating well and all that jazz.

One thing that helped get our 5 year old on board with getting healthy was watching the movie Super Size Me with him. He was super intrigued and afterward, super aware.

Don't beat yourself up though. As parents, we do the best we can with what we have! You are soooo NOT a bad mommy!