Saturday, December 19, 2009

Scarves for the Homeless

Well Tis the season to be jolly... and GIVING.....
Every month we go to our local homeless shelter and feed the homeless. We have been doing it for 1 year now and LOVE IT.... the boys ask every Saturday
" ARE WE GOING TO THE HOMELESS SHELTER TONIGHT? "

Not only do I get a sense of peace when I am there, but to actually see my boys interact with these men and woman melts my heart, Reminds me that I HAVE SOME PRETTY SPECIAL LITTLE BOYS.. ( thank you GOD )

Well tonight is one of those nights and not only are we doing a fancy shmancy sit down type ( they usually go through a line and we serve ) we are passing out gifts, This year it will be the essentials like socks, toiletries, a bible and other goodies we are also handing out hats and scarves that have been both hand made and bought ( they were all supposed to be hand made, but with running here and there and teaching my boys. working and everything else life throws at you, we had to break down and go buy some. )

Logan asked me first thing this AM " Are we going to the shelter tonight to pass out the hats and scarfs? "
I said Yes and he was SUPER excited. He said "I like that we can help them mommy"
and this is the REASON we go... TO GIVE UNTO OTHERS....
So I ask.. No I IMPLORE you to go out of your comfort zone these next few days and DO UNTO OTHERS... whether its buying a coffee for someone that could not otherwise afford one, pick up and extra scarf or hat and keep it in the car and give it to someone you see on the street that needs it. Do something ANYTHING to show your children and self that

it is ALWAYS better to GIVE than to RECEIVE...

God Bless you all.

4 comments:

The Butler Family said...

Wow this is great! Your boys are very special... You're gonna have to take some pictures. Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas! =)

Mindy Skains Independant Scentsy Consultant said...

Thank you darling. I am just proud of them. This whole going to the shelter started last year after the darn Toy's R US big book came in the mail and they were in the van looking at it and I heard
IM GETTING THIS... AND THIS.... AND OHH I WILL BE MAD IF I DON"T GET THIS....
that was my final draw I Knew that I had to open their eyes to others that have nothing or I was going to have some pretty selfish boys on my hands.

Angel said...

That is awesome!!

Mandy said...

How wonderful that you are doing that! And even more wonderful your boys are such willing little helpers! We are trying to teach my oldest right now about that, we went to donate some food to our local food bank and he a a minor melt down about having to give away his cars spaghetti-Os, I had to explain it a few time and then he was all on board with the idea! He is only 3 though so we are hoping he will understand more with age!