Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Its raining, Its pouring... the Old man is snoring.

He bumped his head and went to bed and couldn't get up in the morning....... Or how ever that song goes.

All I know is IT IS POURING DOWN AND MY YARD IS FLOODED.... ( I feel like I have lake front property...)


So all the excitement that has gone down. Lets see.....

My sister had her beautiful baby boy yesterday Welcome Ryder Wallace ( middle name is a family name )

I managed to work on Ryder's baby blanket.

Logan got his schoolwork done.

Oh and we had a COPPERHEAD SNAKE IN OUR LIVING ROOM....

Yes folks you read that right, Last night while zoning in front of the TV, Bijou started barking
( the barking is nothing new. He is a YAPPER )
We figured it was something he heard outside so we dismissed it and told him in not so nice terms to ZIP HIS MUZZLE... ( only later to realize he was trying to warn us about the snake, Now I don't speak dog but I imagine it would have sounded something like this.

(HEY LAZY PEOPLE THERE IS A SNAKE IN THE HOUSE... GET OFF YOUR RATHER LARGE BUTTOCKS AND KILL IT.... )

So about 45 min later Nolan got up to go refill his water or something, and he noticed the dogs and cats all gathered around the towel we had by the back door that we use to dry off muddy paws. Anywho he figured it was a bug. ( they all like to play with June bugs ) Anywho he lifted the towel to see a copperhead. YIKES!!!!

all I heard was
SNAKE!!!!!

Now if you know us. I am NOT afraid of snakes. Nolan is however. So I jump up and see its a copperhead so Instantly MOMMY BEAR MOOD KICKS IN.... ( Not afraid for my boys seeing how they are in the other end of the house. But my 4 legged babies were right there. )

I grab the phone like any brave mama bear and call our neighbors DAN and SUSAN...

Susan answers the phone to hear

COPPERHEAD IN THE LIVING ROOM.

She said OH MY THEIR ON THEIR WAY.... ( she didn't need to ask who it is seeing how we are the ONLY folks they know that seem to ATTRACT the darn things. )

So the snake slithers under the couch and I put on my flip flops
( for some reason I am convinced that my feet are well protected in flip flops )

and Nolan runs outta the house into the garage and come back with a big ol rake thingy. and it takes off to the brick fireplace ( STUPID MOVE SNAKE YOUR TRAPPED NOW ) all the while I am trying to get the darn cats to leave it alone. Koda was thrown outside Bijou being the ONLY smart one takes off to his crate. And the dumb cats are trying to play with the darn thing.

I get Narcissa by the tale and manage to lock her up. and Skittles the kitten is bound and determined to get the snake will not move, So I grab the only weapon I have. THE WATER BOTTLE.... and I SQUIRT..... SQUIRT.... SQUIRT..... ( see apparently SNAKES they are not afraid of But WATER... FORGETABOUTIT.... )

So we kill the snake. Actually Nolan kills the snake and gets it outside right as Dan and George show up to save the day with a gun.

Nolan was like WHERE YOU GOING TO SHOOT IT IN THE HOUSE? Dan said NO I was going to get it outside then shoot it. Thankfully there was no shooting.

But do you think ANY of us slept good last night?

AHHHH!!!!! as I have said in the past THERE IS NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN THE SKAINS HOUSE....

7 comments:

Rebel said...

How in the world had it gotten inside?

Mindy Skains Barefoot Book Ambassador said...

its a secret we may never know.
In fact we had another one in last night but that one slithered in as darling hubby opened the door to let our dog in

Laura said...

Oh my goodness!! Reading that gave me goosebumps! I can't believe you aren't afraid of snakes, you must see them too often. I would have started running to my bedroom to pack my suitcase and move! :) Glad none of the four footed babes were hurt. :)

Thanks for stopping by and saying HI!

Laura said...

Oh, and I just noticed you have a Braeden! Of course I LOVE it! :)

RaD said...

I was gonna say hey, we had a lot of rain yesterday too. So much in fact we had to call parents to pick up their preschoolers (at the school where I work) because the parking lot was flooded and you had to wade through the water to get to the front door of the preschool.

BUT then I read about the snake and think, man, that was much more exciting. You get no competition from me :)

Rebel said...

Note to self: Only visit Mindy in the dead of winter when snakes are hibernating.

FYI - Sammie is the smartest dog I've ever owned.

Mindy Skains Barefoot Book Ambassador said...

Ah thanks ladies. Whats funny is we went all summer seeing NO snakes then WHAM.... the copperhead which we later researched and think it was a rat snake, but that very next night Nolan opened the door to let Sadie in and a snake slithered in with her. That one was a Rough Earth snake so we caught it and put it in a jar for the boys to look at. Then safely let it go.