Monday, March 23, 2009

Lazy Lazy Lazy Mindy wants a drink of water......

so she waited and waited and waited for it to rain.....

Well if you are at all familiar with the works for Shel Silverstein you know that poem is actually titles
LAZY JANE.
As a child my sisters and I would check Where the Sidewalk ends from our school library every chance we got, and I am sire if you were to go back to our elementary school look for that book and whether they bought a new one or not you would see it was checked out the most by us.

Well now that I am an adult (shhh!!! don't tell anyone ) I wanted to share something with my boys that meant so much to me as a child, and wouldn't you know. My boys LOVE HIM... they ask me to read poems from it all the time.
And as I sit there reading to them the poems that I loved so much as a child like
IM BEING EATIN BY A BOA CONSTRICTOR. or LITTLE MELINDA MEA or HUG A WAR I can cleary see our house on 22nd st in Seattle our furniture the color of the rug the bedrooms the secret room under the basement stairs with the little hidden door. And I think. I had a terrific child hood. I had 3 older sisters that HAD to play with me and babysit me I had two best friends that lived right up the street from me and back in those days we left our doors unlocked and we could play outside till dusk in the summer and not have to worry about crazy. and I think.. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS WORLD? I would no sooner let my kids go anywhere with out me. My folks use to let us walk up to the local Mc Donalds by ourselves or the cornor store for candy. or walk to the beach. Again I have such wonderful memories growing up with my family and it saddens me to know that my children will never grow up in a envoirnment like I did...

2 comments:

HolliLynn said...

I agree I remember being 7 and walking across the base home, or riding my bike too. Or anywhere down the road to the playground through a forest.
~holli

Diary of a Crazed Mama.. said...

It aches my heart to think Will my boys have fond memories of EXPLORING when they are older?
Or am I way to over protective and Quashing it?